A brief list of things I’m doing lately that I have no shame in or about…
- Reading Christmas novels or novellas. Yes, it’s before Thanksgiving. Yes, I know this annoys some people but you know what? I don’t care. I love these stories. They make me happy and keep me turning the pages, with endings that are both satisfying and most of the time, quite happy
- Taking naps. I may be early 30s (34 is still early 30s, right?) but some days, thanks to the immuno/chemo, I have to call it a day and take a snooze. I wake up refreshed and with more energy so obviously they are both needed and working
- Tuning into the Hallmark Channel for cheesy Christmas movies. Oh, I know, Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving – again – but here is the thing: ever since my mom passed away, I have a love/hate with Christmas. Some things I love: sending out and receiving Christmas cards, decorating for Christmas, looking at Christmas lights, finding fun holiday outfits to wear but other things are hard, like watching some of the more traditional holiday movies (Love Actually, The Holiday, You’ve Got Mail) because they remind me too much of my mom and usually moments in I’m sobbing so…. when I want to watch a Christmas movie with no memories attached, the Hallmark Channel it is
- Allowing people to bring me meals or send me gift cards. I wanted really badly to be Super Woman during my immuno/chemo treatments and in some ways I have been (not taking any days off of work, managing some some semblance of a workout routine even if not always consistent) but other things like having the energy to work all day + cook + clean…. yeah, not happening. I’m so thankful to those who have helped me so far as it’s been a great relief and great help.
- A weekly treat for myself at Barnes & Noble, usually in the form of a hot chocolate – or peppermint one since they are now out – when I hang with my guys as we chat, look at magazines and enjoy one another’s company.
What are you enjoying lately that you have no shame over?